Monday, June 4, 2012

Post op

I had my D&C on May 21. It was quick and easy for the most part. There was a complication but I will get into that in a minute. The hardest part of the surgery was getting the gown on. You see, I was still bleeding and getting ready for surgery requires nothing but the awesome gown they give you. So, there I am standing behind a curtain with a nurse on the other side filling out paperwork. I had to tell her I was still bleeding and ask if it was OK to sit on the bed. She got one of those awesome pads to put on the bed and she noticed I had blood all down my legs (check your dignity here friends). She told me not to worry and just hop up on the bed. The nurse was so nice and understanding. She couldn't find a good vein in my hand to do the IV. Normally I don't have a problem with that but I wasn't allowed to eat breakfast and I had been bleeding for almost 60 days at this point. So, she put it in the crease of my arm. Then they let James come back until the doctor came. We played some Disney trivia while we waited and laughed at some lady watching a movie on her ipad a few curtains down. I'm not sure what she was watching but it was a fight scene the entire time (Brave heart maybe?). Nothing like hearing screaming and dying before surgery! My doctor arrived and the anesthesiologist came in to go over all the general questions they ask and administered the "good stuff" to calm me. Then off I went! My doctor is so wonderful and holds your hand until you go to sleep. He was telling me how it would be a private matter and no one else was coming in to the ER except for the people already in there (doctor, nurse, assistant, anesthesiologist). I appreciated that a lot. Next thing you know, I'm waking up in recovery with a 7 up :) I woke up a lot quicker from this surgery than from the one I had in January. I was dressed and walking out about 15 minutes after I woke up. I literally had ZERO pain post op. It was wonderful. No more bleeding, no more cramps or back pain. It was wonderful! Overall, it was a wonderful experience. I am glad my doctor is part owner in the surgery center. I think it just makes for a better experience and the nurses are so attentive to not only my physical but emotional needs. In a situation like this, it was nice to know they understood and had some compassion :) Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment